blog home Motorcycle Crash Five More Died in Austin Crashes in 2011 than in 2010

Five More Died in Austin Crashes in 2011 than in 2010

By King Law Firm on January 29, 2013

The city of Austin, Texas and the Austin Police Department make annual crime and traffic reports available to the public on their website: The most recent reports available are for the calendar years of 2010 and 2011. Discovering the causes and types of traffic accidents in the city helps residents understand the nature of crashes and possibly avoid becoming involved in crashes themselves.

In 2011, there were 48 Austin crashes resulting in fatalities, with 54 people dying in these crashes. There were 49 deaths, five fewer, in Austin vehicle crashes in 2010.

Forty-one percent of those who died in Austin traffic accidents in 2011 were occupants of motor vehicles. In addition, 41 percent were pedestrians, 16 percent were motorcyclists, and two percent were bicyclists.

Motorcycle Helmet Use

Of all Austin motorcycle crash deaths recorded in 2011, 44 percent of victims were not wearing helmets. The remaining 56 percent wore helmets.

Seatbelt Use

Of all Austin vehicle occupant deaths in 2011, 41 percent of those who died were not wearing their seatbelts while 50 percent were wearing seatbelts. Seatbelt use among the remaining nine percent is unknown.

Alcohol Impairment

Twenty-one percent of Austin’s traffic fatalities in 2011 involved a driver impaired with alcohol. This is down from 53 percent in 2010.


Speed was a contributing factor in 23 percent of Austin traffic deaths that occurred in 2011.

Location of Fatal Austin Accidents

Forty-four percent of Austin traffic fatalities occurred on freeways, and the remaining 56 percent on other streets and roads.

Finding Justice for Lost Loved Ones

If you or someone you care about has been injured in a traffic accident caused by the negligence of someone else, a drunk driver for example, contact a Texas motorcycle accident lawyer at the King Law Firm. Please call us at (512) 514-6633 to discuss your potential case free of charge.

Related Articles:

King Law Firm

9600 Great Hills Trail
Suite 150W
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 375-4455

See all locations

Copyright © 2020 King Law Firm All Rights Reserved. Attorneys serving the communities throughout Texas.

King Law Firm Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Texas.

Attorney advertisement. The material and information contained on these pages and on any pages linked from these pages is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice. You should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction before relying upon any of the information presented here. You are advised that the acts of sending e-mail to or viewing or downloading information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

We provide legal services to clients throughout Central Texas, including San Antonio, and the communities of Round Rock, Pflugerville, San Marcos, Bastrop, Kyle, Georgetown, Lockhart, Westlake, Killeen and Harker Heights as well as residents of Williamson County, Hays County, Bastrop County, Bexas County and Travis County.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting